Monday, October 29, 2012

New Release - Reaping Me Softly

Whew!! We are keeping busy here at Omnific so you can have lots of new books to curl up with as the days start to turn colder!

This week we have an amazing YA release, Reaping Me Softly by Kate Evangelista and we so excited!

 Ever since a near-death-experience on the operating table, seventeen-year-old Arianne Wilson can see dead people. Just as she’s learned to accept her new-found talents, she discovers that the boy she’s had a crush on since freshman year, Niko Clarke, is a Reaper.

At last they have something in common, but that doesn’t mean life is getting any easier. All while facing merciless bullying from the most powerful girl in school, Arianne’s world is turned upside down after Niko accidentally reaps the soul of someone she loves. This sends them both into a spiral that threatens to end Arianne’s life. But will Niko break his own Reaper’s code to save her? And what would the consequences be if he did? 
 
 
We were able to catch Kate and ask her a few of our questions, which is lucky since she is being kept very busy these days with her book release and all...
Omnific: Reaping Me Softly is your first novel with Omnific Publishing, tell us about what inspired you to write and write this book in general.

Kate Evangelista: I believe inspiration comes from anywhere and everywhere, you just have to be ready to run with it when it comes. For Reaping Me Softly, inspiration came while watching Deathly Hallows Part 1. The animated scene with Death captured my imagination. This is when D came to me, an overworked supernatural creature who created the Reapers to lighten some of the load. I started writing his story the second I got home.
Omnific: Can you share a little of your writing process with us? Are you a plotter or do you write as a scene hits?
Kate Evangelista: My process consists of starting a novel at the beginning of a month. Then I write a chapter a day until by the end of the month I have a completed novel with approximately thirty chapters—give or take a couple of chapters. I don’t create outlines because I never follow them, and they make me feel like I have to follow them, which restricts the creative process for me. I like to go where the character’s story takes me.

Omnific: The holidays are right around the corner, what is on your list this year? Any books you want Santa to leave?

Kate Evangelista: My major item on the list is a new laptop. Books I can buy at any time, but my Fred needs to retire. He’s done a great job putting up with me through the years, and when I first got him, I said, “Fred, we will get published someday.” Four contacts and several novels later, he’s hanging on by a thread for me. He needs the rest.
Omnific: Since Omnific is all about the romance...what is your favorite romance scene in a book?
Kate Evangelista: My favorite scene happens in Niko’s Inbetween. This is when he first takes Arianne there. I don’t want to describe it much because it will spoil the story, but every time I think about that scene, I get all mushy.  *giggles*


Omnific: Now, if they made that into a movie who would you want cast in that scene? (Or if they have already made a movie, would you recast it?)

Kate Evangelista: I actually have no idea who I want to cast for each of the characters in Reaping, but I would definitely love to attend the casting process. I would sit in that chair, look at the head shot of the guy standing a few feet away, and asking him to remove his shirt. What? Don’t judge me. *laughs*



Omnific: And the dreaded question after months of editing…do you have anything that you are working on next?

Kate Evangelista: I just finished writing the companion novel to Taste called Savor. Once the craziness that is October is over and done with, I will begin writing the sequel to Reaping. It’ll be my NaNo offering for November. I’m actually very excited.


 And if you aren't already chomping at the bit to read this one...here is a little excerpt and a glimpse of Niko and Arianne.

What shall we toast to?”

“To more than friendship.”

With fire-engine red cheeks, she asked, “What?”

Bumping his glass with hers, Niko took a sip of the sweet, bubbly liquid. He added extra warmth to his mile. Arianne continued to stare.

“You have to drink or it’s bad luck,” he encouraged.

She brought the rim of her glass to her lips and took a tentative swallow of grape soda. She put down the flute as if it would break.

“About the kiss…” She picked up her dinner fork and moved a meatball around the plate. “I’m sorry.”

Niko leaned in. “Why?”

“I didn’t mean to…I mean…actually, I don’t know what I mean. The part of my brain that makes rational decisions switched off, and the next thing I know, I’m kissing you.”


“Are you saying you didn’t want to kiss me?”

“No!” She sat up straighter, almost dropping the fork. “I mean…”

“Ari,” he reached out and closed his hand over hers, “I liked it.”

“You liked it?”

The shock on her face almost made him laugh. He had to bite down on the inside of his cheek to keep from embarrassing her. He squeezed her hand instead.

And if you haven't seen the beautiful trailer for this book, check it out!
 

Thank you so much Kate! I know that your readers will love this new one...I know that I did! Congratulations and much success!

If you want to find Kate here's where you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment